5 Tricks to Determine Your Personal Style
Discovering and refining your own personal style can be a struggle. It can be so hard to figure out which aesthetic is truly yours and how to own it. However once you do, getting dressed in the morning can give you the daily dose of serotonin you need to carry you through even the toughest of days.
The true impact of personal styles goes farther than making a good impression or showing off, great style is more about approaching each day with confidence and the ability to feel gorgeous in whatever you are wearing. And contrary to popular belief, finding that personal flair doesn’t always require big bucks and a full closet makeover. The key to looking great and feeling amazing isn’t exactly hopping on all of the latest fashion trends, instead the key lies in staying true to yourself and your personal style.
The Style Struggle
Style refers to a person’s unique way of expressing themselves, but in the world of fashion the simple word, “style,” alludes to a larger more subjective phrase, “personal style.” Fashion and style icon Tan France refers to personal style as “the way an individual expresses themselves through aesthetic choices such as their clothing, accessories, hairstyle, and the way they put an outfit together.”
Hence, being stylish is not really following fashion trends, but in a sense it’s creating them. It’s this idea of staying true to one’s own aesthetic. Making personal style more about developing a sense of self, rather than simply absorbing trends. Afterall it is those who have the strongest understanding of personal style who set the trends that rule the fashion world.
Now the real question is how in the world do you develop your own personal style?
Discovering your personal style is definitely not an easy task. However we are in it for the long haul, and with these five strategies you can join us on the journey to uncovering the secret behind personal style.
- Find your style icon. When looking for fashion inspiration, start with looking through your own closet, think about your favorite pieces and why you like them so much, what they mean to you, and why they make you feel good. Then spend some time on social media, and observe how your favorite celebrities or even good friends dress. Look at blogs, pinterest boards, and instagram feeds and identify which style you identify with most.
- Create a fashion mood board. Yes I know basic, but very effective. A mood board is a great way to work towards developing personal style. Once you’ve found your icons, gathered some fashion inspiration, and have a good idea of what type of style fits your vibe the most. Search far and wide and find inspo pics and compile those pictures into one collage. This can be virtual or you can go old school with it and print pictures out. Even if at first your inspiration feels a little all over the place, putting all these pictures together may help you uncover an overarching theme or vibe. This theme is going to be the focal point of achieving your own personal style.
3. Snap the winners. You know those special days when you walk out the door feeling like your most stylish and confident self. Remember those moments, remember the outfit that gave you that regal feeling. The best way to do this, take a picture! These are the outfits that are going to epitomize your true self, and showcase your personal style and they could serve as amazing inspo for future outfits.
4. Play to your strengths. Is there a certain thing people compliment you on? Whether it’s your perfect choice in denim, your killer footwear game, or your sixth sense for styling dresses use it! Wear the clothes that play up your best style strengths no matter what is currently trending. DO YOU!
5. Create a capsule collection. A capsule wardrobe is a collection of pieces you can mix and match to create effortless looks. These are classic pieces in neutral colors and go with everything and are always there for you. I’m talking about a classic little black dress or that perfect pair of jeans that can do no wrong. These items may be simple but once you start experimenting with your style they will come in handy!
Trying to find your personal style can be a long and frustrating process, filled with trial and error and some style mistakes. However with so many trends and personas to dabble in the journey is just as amazing as the destination!
We at ÀLA.HAUSSE are committed to providing fashion lovers with a multifunctional ecosystem in which they can practice more sustainable consumption habits. Via ÀLA.HAUSSE‘s Multi-functional and Multi-purposeful Fashion Ecosystem- BUY/SELL/RENT/LEND/ (swap BETA 2021) mobile application, INDIVIDUALS & brands ( BETA 2021) are encouraged to REBUY, RESELL, REUSE and UP-CYCLE their personal “Clossets” aka Clothing Assets, along with overstock inventory and samples. Through this consumerism habit shift we indirectly slow down the urgency on fashion’s carbon footprint, aiding sustainability as a whole.
#ALAHAUSSE #WEARYOURPURPOSE #HAUSSEPEOPLE
Originally published at https://alahausse.ca on August 27, 2021.